Urbino Cathedral, was built by Bishop Mainardo in 1063 in honor of the Virgin Mary”s Assumption into heaven. In the fifteenth century the cathedral was rebuilt again and at the end of the eighteenth century took its definitive neo-classical style. Its facade in sharp contrast with the colors of the other buildings” bricks and the bell tower (built at this time), has been designed by Carlo Morigia. Outside of the facade there are seven statues of saints including St. Crescentino, patron saint of Urbino celebrated on June 1st.
The cathedral interior measuring 60.5 meters long, 36.8 meters wide and 50 meters high. It is divided into three naves, in the central one is located the altar and the bronze statues by Camillo casino online Rusconi. Several paintings decorate the church, the most famous are “La traslazione della Santa Casa di Loreto” by Claudio Ridolfi, the “Martirio di S.Sebastiano” by Federico Barocci and the “Annunciazione” by Raphael Motta. The interior also reveals the classic spirit: spacious, elegant and noble. The dome is decorated with the image of the four evangelists. Close to the major altar there is the large painting “Madonna Assunta” by C. Unterberger, which represent the Virgin Mary”s Assumption into heaven.
In previous centuries the cathedral had other forms and other men engaged in designing and manufacturing. When Duke Federico da Montefeltro was still alive, Francesco di Giorgio Martini was in charge for designing and construction work until 1604, when the dome designed by Muzio Oddi has been built. In the 1781 a strong earthquake damaged the dome and the facade, which was not fully complete yet. The restoration works proceeded slowly and in the early 1789 the dome collapsed, falling down to subterranean. This forced the citizens to rebuild their cathedral following the project of the architect Giuseppe Valadier (1762-1839), which ended the building in 1801.